Sunday, August 2, 2009

Thank You Good Records, Yim Yames


Thank you Good Records. Shelter from the storm. Good Records in Dallas has IMPRESSIVELY expanded their vinyl section. I had the Home Alone scream in my throat (from joy, not aftershave) at the massive new upstairs section of vinyl. There was too much good new stuff to start and test out - Starlight Mints, Bowerbirds, some kick ass rap, and God Help the Girl.

I ended up with Mr. Yim Yames's new record, which is Jim James covering George Harrison. Some proceeds go to charity, and if that's not enough to make you buy it immediately, the description on the back of the album will (PS, he recorded these tracks LIVE).

" Hello friends. Just like most everyone else under this crazy dome, I have been a fan of The Beatles since childhood...but it wasn't till sometime in 99 that an old pal turned me on to "All Things Must Pass" and I quickly become even more enamored with the quiety beauty and majesty of All Things George Harrison...

...The following are a selection of George’s songs I recorded back in 2001, a few days after he passed that were moving me so very much at the time… I recorded them live at above the Cadillac in Shelbyville, KY… On my cousin John’s “ol faithful” Fostex 8 track reel2reel, then overdubbed a banjitar or b. vox here or there. I find comfort knowing that all things must pass, but that as all things do pass their spirits are still out there moving us somewhere… doing what they do, just as real as they ever were in this physical world…I hear them singing and I feel them in my blood."

0 comments:

 
#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }