Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Night Swimming

Great Lake Swimmers - Your Rocky Spine from LaundroMatinee on Vimeo.

I'm not sure what to think of this song. Romantic poetry is long dead, right? Is it still cool to write about a woman's hips being like "running your hands over mountains to glaciers"? It's not illicit or wholly captivating. Except, every time Band of Horses sing about the night moon over the pine, or R.E.M.'s clavinets hum like junebugs, or Great Lake Swimmers sing BEAUTIFULLY and damn near PERFECTLY about sex I go little soft in the knees.

I guess I answered my own question. Great Lake Swimmers is a good folk band. They are sometimes poetic, more times beautiful, and occasionally soporific - I go back and forth. Check them out live, and hear the audience silence when they sing. It's because the lead singer sings delicately enough to break a light bulb. Their newest album is out now, called Lost Channels.

Great Lake Swimmers - Pulling on a Line

0 comments:

 
#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }