Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Don't Lie" - Abe Vigoda


Abe Vigoda - Don't Lie from Weston Currie on Vimeo

A few weeks ago I was at Family, a bookstore in Los Angeles, and I saw Jack Black wandering with a huge bag full of books. I was staring at Abe Vigoda's incredible CD - Skeleton. The album art is a man covered in a tarry paint in front of a wall of flowers. I turned to Jack Black and I said:

"Ever heard of these guys, they're awesome."

And that's when Jack Black said, "Abe Vigoda. I know the man." (Referring to the pony-like old man)

So maybe Jack Black listens to them now. Either way, Abe Vigoda (the band) has some experimental, art rock that has really expanded with their new EP, Reviver, which has some exciting new touches to it. My instant thought was Wolf Parade - but that doesn't give the band their due credit. A surge of cosmic noise, and a wall of sound behind the harmonies that sound something like an electric violin in reverse. Really cool.

Dead City/Waste Wilderness - Abe Vigoda

0 comments:

 
#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }