Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Animal Names are the Best of 2009

There's torture here. I'm fed up. I can't take the head pressure anymore, IT'S LIST TIME. God, what was I supposed to do...not do one? Jesus of Jesus! That couldn't happen. Colors, I'm seeing colors. Help me. A rat is running on the roof making the sound of nails. Somewhere in the distance, a crow cries. Torture! Broken fingernails!

Without order or any sense of triumph at doing this right because there are really just too many great albums to create some sort of "top ten" (exactly what I did) or "top five" or "top 88" (what about Bear in Heaven? Grizzly Bear?? King Kahn & BBQ Show??? Passion Pit???? Flaming Lips?????) Hell. This is just my personal favorites of 2009 with remedial, disgustingly short descriptions.

The Antlers, Hospice
The light bulbs explode when this album plays.
Antlers - Sylvia

Neko Case, Middle Cyclone
The title track is one of the best songs I've ever heard.
Neko case - Middle Cyclone

Cotton Jones, Paranoid Cocoon
Rock from the bottom of a soapy, fifties dishwasher; "Blood Red Sentimental Blues" is a perfect song.


Cotton Jones - Blood Red Sentimental Blues

Tune-Yards, Bird Brains
What is this? It's like pouring sugar on your frontal lobe.


Tune Yards - Sunlight

(read the rest by clicking link below


J. Tillman, Year in the Kingdom
So sultry I'm going to kill myself with a raven.
J. Tillman - Though I Have Wronged You

Castanets, Texas Rose, The Thaw & the Beats
Willie Nelson's ghost and a whole bunch of roses make for a scintillating, beardy album.


Castanets - Dance, Dance

Low Anthem, Oh My God Charlie Darwin
It's just poetry. One of the songs is called "Cage the Songbird," so I'm hooked.
Low Anthem - Charlie Darwin

Cass McCombs, Catacombs
Cliche? Screw off. This album is spectacular.
Cass McCombs - You Saved My Life

Brazos, Phosphorescent Blues
Austin band that says, Eat Your Heart Out Spoon. Listen to "Avignon."
Brazos - Avignon

Neon Indian, Psychic Chasms
My first thank you to hipsters. See: "Deadbeat Summer," and be OK with that good 80's feeling.


Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer

THREE HUGE RUNNER UPS THAT I COULDN'T FIT INTO THIS LIST AND THUS CANNOT TRULY SLEEP WELL

Phosphorescent, To Willie
I was at LAX listening to this album, when Willie Nelson stood in front of me. I almost cried.

Dawes, North Hills
Three words: That Western Skyline.

Andrew Bird, Noble Beast
Yeah whistling. Words that sound like cool other words with gorgeous harmonies.

0 comments:

 
#navbar-iframe { height:0px; visibility:hidden; display:none; }